Thursday, December 16, 2010

The one with Christmas Songs

Today I was feeling Festive! So I put on a darling little outfit (seen below save for my patterned stockings & black booties) & listened to Christmas music on my drive to work.


I wore a black pencil skirt, with a black ruffled shirt; patterned black stockings, a white lace-backed open sweater, a Cranberry red thick belt, & black stiletto booties! Fun.
Despite being a grown woman, I get giddy excited around the Holidays, & Christmas music really gets me to the it-is-the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year place. Here are some of my favourites, I hope you have a wonderful Holiday, & that these bring a warm smile to your face!
My all-time favourite Christmas song is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" as sung by Katie Meula or Frank Sinatra; they both get it. There are deep levels of emotions inherent in this song which are too often overlooked when a performer approaches this song. It's touching in a very solemn way. My absolute favourite.
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is a mighty & impressive thing to behold! Even on their most docile of tunes they bring immense presence which shakes you. Their Carol of the Bells is fantastic & riveting in that it brings Rock to Christmas in a beautifully elegant way! As a juxtaposition, their Christmas Canon is peaceful to a tee - it quite truly makes my heart break with joy!

Now Rob Thomas does a song which is just feel-good Christmas Spirit & I Love it for that! Merry New York City Christmas in guaranteed to bring a smile to my face EVERY time!

And now we come to a man who quite possibly may be the most gorgeous voice I have ever had the pleasure to hear: Bing Crosby. His White Christmas is a classic; also a movie which I can't get through the holidays without seeing! Bing's voice is like Burgundy, in all its forms: wine, wood, colour. It fills the room, warms, comforts & calms. It is slow & purposeful -- from a different time we've forgotten. This is seen perfectly in Do You Hear What I Hear? This song fills you with the hope of a greater belief...that anyone can have an effect on the world. Finally la piece de la resistance: Bing & David Bowie, The Little Drummer Boy - Peace on Earth. Encompasses everything the Holidays are about.

Wishing you the most happy of Christmases!

No comments:

Post a Comment