Saturday, January 28, 2012

The one with Curry

Today I was in a mood for something spicy & comforting...my answer: Curry. Curry is a marvelous gift to the world in it's versatility, it can be as sweet or spicy as you want it to be, & can encompass any combination of red meats, poultry, legumes, and/or vegetables. I didn't have the foresight to grab jasmine rice in order to complete my meal, but it was still entirely satisfying.
I settled on a chickpea curry with a base of potatoes. I began by roasting carrots, onions, & cauliflower together with evoo, s&p. Simultaneously, I boiled the potatoes until tender.
Once I had drained the potatoes, I began to saute them in a deep pan along with a chopped onion & 2 tbs butter.
Once the potatoes began browning, I added the chickpeas along with 2 tsp curry powder & 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (for some added heat) & mixed that together for several minutes. The Potatoes began to become more of a base at this point than pieces. Next I threw in the roasted veggies.
After several minutes of letting the flavors cook together, I stirred in the greek yogurt & allowed the curry to cook together for an additional 5-6 minutes, the yogurt has an excellent way of deglazing the pot. Once the mixture is steaming & completely irresistible, mix in the sliced jalapenos & dish it out!
The potatoes melt into the curry mix to bond all the pieces together. One spoonful has a roasted carrot & chunk of jalapeno while the next has cauliflower & a chickpea: the yogurt adds a velvet-creaminess which melts into my tongue & carries me away to a warm land of bright music & vibrant colors....

No comments:

Post a Comment