Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The one with mercato centrale



I recently visited Firenze, my favorite Italian city. The moment I stepped off the train at the San Maria Novella train station a smile took hold of my face, I instantly felt as though I was where I was supposed to be. I did; however, have to continuously remind myself to slow down as I walked through the city the first day. Life is so rushed normally, as Americans we go at a rapid pace & always have somewhere to be or something to be doing. I reminded myself several times that I had no agenda, & consciously slowed my step to the Italian lifestyle. Taking the time to take in & enjoy the city brought me much balance, I felt more aware, more alive, than I have in quite a while. One of my first stops walking around Firenze was my favorite spot: il mercato centrale. This is the central market, an indoor fresh market which I used to visit daily for my fresh fruit, produce, & bread.
It's within the area of San Lorenzo, & was constructed there as the Florentine population was growing in order to serve as the largest indoor fresh market. Sadly, as suAlign Centerpermarkets made their way into Italian society, the use of the market declined; however, tourism as well as Florentines still living in the center have kept the market alive & active. The top section of the market was supposed to reflect that of a train station, there are huge windows lined with red metal & a green sky-lit roof; very sadly, the top portion of the market is currently being restored, but I look forward to the day I go back & it's open, beautiful as ever. The products here are so fresh, so delicious, it's nearly unbelievable: our American produce doesn't hold the slightest flame to it.
Walking through il mercato makes anyone hungry, the smell & look of all the fresh food is so inviting. Here are some pictures I took while strolling through.
I got dried fruit nearly daily when I visited, the Mele (apple) & Kiwi were my favorite!
As Americans, generally ignorant that our meat is part of what was a living animal, are generally scieved out at the display of whole or non-disguised animals. Pear & Pecorino Ravioli, absolutely Delicious!!

Sadly, the fruit vendor I used to go to was on the upper level & I consequently couldn't find him. While I lived in Florence, he would remember who I was, what I usually bought, & would throw in fruits I hadn't bought for me to try. One of my favorites was the little orange shown below. They're green on the outside during the fall, but turn orange during the winter. They're perfectly orange on the inside & slightly sour; they're my favorite orange in the world, & I was glad another vendor carried them.



No comments:

Post a Comment