Saturday, April 7, 2012

The one with new French Toast



Today, as I went to eat my breakfast, I was faced with the challenge of under-ripe Bosc pears. I was so dismayed because all I wanted was their sugar-textured sweetness; yet alas, they were green & hard. In a moment of improvisational brilliance, I decided to finely slice them & throw then into a pan with a tbs of butter. As their flesh slowly broke down & became more familiar, I added a generous tbs of dark brown sugar & allowed them to continue to cook down. Looking around my kitchen for an accompany, I spotted some day-old bread & quickly whipped up an amaretto French Toast base. I also found some slivered almonds & stirred them in with the pears. Six slices of baguette quickly turned into six fluffy slices of French Toast. I overlapped three slices & spooned on a generous portion of what had become a caramelized pear & almond syrup -- then I repeated the process. :)
The still slightly structured pears contrasted perfectly against the fluffy French Toast & caramelized almonds. From having cooked down it provided a perfect ratio of syrupy sweetness to doughy toast. A fully satisfying & indulgent breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment