Friday, June 29, 2012

The one with Orange Blossom Cupcakes

Today, I decided to make cupcakes for a charming man who has been commanding quite a bit of time in my life. Cake is one of my favorite things in this world; being so, cupcakes likewise bring me great joy.  My favorite vanilla cake batter recipe calls for 4 egg-whites whipped into hard peaks, as of late, I have become a bit of an expert with getting those beautifully shiny peaks as shown below. 


The batter comes out light & very fluffy because it's a mixture of 3 main components: the egg meringue, a sugar-butter mixture, & a dry mixture. I filled cupcake tins (I always loved the look of silver tins around cupcakes. Weird?) 2/3 full & popped into the oven for 30 minutes: slow baking also leads to fluffiness :)
I also decided to add some Orange Blossom Water to the batter to add a hint of delicate flavor to the cakes. When they came out of the oven I couldn't help myself, I had to try one!!

It is imperative to proper cupcake-making that the cupcakes are fully cooled before frosting.
I decided to go with a simple chocolate frosting in order to compliment the Orange Blossom. Here's the link for the Frosting Recipe. Since blueberries are in season, they made the perfect little garnish.
Cupcake to go?!?
I had originally made all the cupcakes the same -- which is my usual style, but while playing with the last of the frosting, I stated putting these little "kisses" as I called them (resemble Hersey Kisses) around the edges of one cupcake. I continued & soon enough had a cupcake full of Kisses for my man. Might be silly, but it made me smile!
So tempting, can't wait to get into these!

No comments:

Post a Comment