Saturday, July 16, 2011

The one with beautiful delicious-decisions

Today I was fortunate enough to have reason to bake -- my favorite activity!! After a long day in the sun, my cousin (MM) & I came back to make diner for ourselves & desert for my Aunt & Uncle who's 23rd Anniversary was today.

So here's how it played out, MM chose that we would eat Pannini, I chose how to make them. I chose cake, MM chose the flavors:

Paninni
Sourdough bread
Thin-sliced all-natural turkey breast
Sautéed onions
Sliced tomatoes
Pesto

I generously put pesto on one piece of the sourdough, & layered the other with the Turkey, tomato, & onions. I closed the sandwich before wrapping it in tin-foil & placing it in the oven at 400. I placed a hot cooking stone over it (for weight) & left it for slightly over 20 minutes. This is pannini perfection...
Browned, crunchy, fresh pesto & olive oil seeped through the other ingredients -- Bravissimo!


Next we had a cake to make, MM chose Chocolate cake with vanilla filling & chocolate frosting. I used made a basic chocolate cake & let the two rounds bake while I made the frosting. I have a brilliantly fool-proof & lightly perfect frosting base which I've found to be effective & appropriate in about 84% of situations.

1package 1/3 less fat (Because it's not necessary) cream cheese
3 tbs butter (still cool)
3 c confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Blend together & let chill before utilizing. I added a tsp of almond extract to the vanilla filling, & about 1/3 c coco powder for the outside frosting. I was notably pleased with the results as was the rest of the family later in the evening.
It was beautiful & delicious....honestly I can't say which adjective it rang more true with....trust me when I say I will make cakes for a shop of my own some day, & people will derive sweet joy from them. Overall I have to say we have proven to compliment one another quite terribly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment