Saturday, November 6, 2010

The one with Jersey Boys

So today my Aunt surprised my cousins & I with tickets to go see Jersey Boys on Broadway! I Love, Love Broadway, so I was excited, & we simply had to get dressed for the occasion! (may have played with the color-editing just a lil...)


Now, Jersey Boys is the story of Frank Valli & The Four Seasons. It's an entirely hilarious musical; no one in the audience could stop laughing, least of all me!! It made jest of Jersey in the most perfect way! What was really weird is I'm living near a lot of the towns /bars they mention, which is way too surreal...I don't really live in New Jersey do I?!? A little ingenious subtlety of the play was that they made four 'seasons' by having each member of the original band narrate a section to create the four seasons of their career: Spring was Tommy, Summer was Bob, Fall was Nick, & Winter was Frank. Another fun twist was that they had 3 screens above/integrated into the stage which flashed different 1960's Pop Art style, such as the Lichtenstein seen below, on them throughout the performance. So FUN!

I have to admit, I didn't recognize the name Four Seasons going into it, but they are all songs you've heard: Oh What a Night, Big Girls Don't Cry, Walk like a Man, Beggin', My eyes adored you, Working my way back to you, Will you Love me tomorrow, My Boyfriend's back, Stay & Frank Valli even did You're too good to be true! That high pitched male singer who dominated the 60's, that was Frank Valli.



My favorite character was by far Nick! He was this very quite person who didn't often, but had fantastic one liners every time he opened his mouth! He had an almost grumpy demeanor, in that he didn't smile, he also looked like Patrick Swayze. You wondered at times if he slightly slow, but it made him even more funny & lovable! He wasn't the star of the show, but rather the one you couldn't get enough of, the one you wanted to see more of! His last line of the show was something to the effect of, "If you're in a four person band & you're Ringo......" pause for laughter "well....." My type of comedy!


If you don't know the secret to Oh What a Night, see it, I promise you'll enjoy it!
Now during the play, acutally right before intermission, they mention the British Invasion of the mid 1960's. In a flash of rapid thought-process-jumping, I realized that we're currently going through another British Invasion -- which I entirley welcome, Love those accents! But think about it, in the 90's Muse, Coldplay, Radiohead were all over. More recently, Bring me the Horizon, Leona Lewis & Joss Stone have been huge. Now Taio Cruz is topping the charts! Not to mention countless others! I know that we're now much more used to artwork & music from around the world -- Hell Euro-pop is some of my fav! Have we simply become immune to it due to the speed & availability of information in our fast-pace, high-tech world?
In any case, wonderful day! Now I'm off to rock-out to some particularly fun music!

No comments:

Post a Comment