Thursday, June 16, 2011

The one with Birreria




On most occasions I would tell anyone that they were crazy to wait 45 minutes in line to put in their name for a restaurant & then another hour before they were seated; this however, was an exception. Tonight I dined at Eataly's newest venue, Birreria, a rooftop beer garden! Before I go further, No, it's even better than it sounds!






Having dinner in the middle of an open-market is ambiance enough for the most harsh of critics to enjoy, but now Eataly has really stepped up their game! You walk up to put your name in with the above pictured sign promising you all the delights of Italian beer, there is a large b&w picture of three men who look like brothers holding hand-fulls of hops & spices. Once you get a text that a table is ready for you you're whisked away to the elevator around the corner & instructed to go to floor 15 - the roof. Within the elevator you find a playful spin on Dante's Inferno stating that here the Gluttonous are sent to the rooftop.





Take my word on this one, once you're up here, you are not among bad company! As you walk up a set of deep mahogany you're swept up in visual, auditory, & olfactory excitement. You first see the brewery before walking out to a patio open to the NYC sun & air. Everyone is alive with conversation & I'm not sure whether to direct my attention to the sharp design, oak casks behind the bar, or the beautiful plates of food being served as an orchestra to the tables around us. From my seat I can see the Empire state building in front of me, & the Madison Ave Clock-tower to my right -- anyone want to contend with that view?






I noticed while sitting down a sign nearby which read "Off centered stuff for off-centered people", instantly confirmed that I was exactly where I wanted to be: far from the mundane! I quickly ordered the house Thyme-pale ale, which was as I had hoped was light & summery with earthy notes. My friend J (cheese-lover-extraordinaire) & I ordered a plate of three cheeses: Robiola Bosina, Pecorino Toscana, & Pecorino Fiore Sardo. The first was fresh, nutty & aromatic, the second sharp & paired deliciously with the house honey, & the third was sharp & smokey: all perfect pairings with beer!






By the time we got around to our entrees, I was far too engulfed in delight to capture it! I had a delicious grilled portobello dish (Portobello con Acciughe) which I did not have one complaint for. As we finished our meal all the lights in the city were beginning to come up, the combination of city lights, a seriously chill atmosphere, & the sound of people getting together simply to enjoy great food & beer -- well, I can't think of any better way to spend a Wednesday evening!





No comments:

Post a Comment