Monday, June 27, 2011

The one with deception

If there is one thing which makes me laugh without fail, other than people getting hurt, it's when you think sometime is nice, but it's really quite mean. Catching a person off guard or in cruel & situational ironies make me giggle with joy. My newest fav is Samuel L. Jackson's reading of "Go the F*ck to Sleep"
Edwin Whipple, the famous critic of the 1800's, said it best with "Irony is an insult conveyed in the form of a compliment". Another amusing one is from comedic actor Jack Nicholson "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch".

A movie which I think is generally under-rated & which I enjoy with earnest is Be Cool, it has a montage cast of quality actors, & will keep you laughing. One of my favorite scenes is when The Rock gives a "monologue" but speaks both parts of a dialogue. John Travolta & Uma Thurman are standing there, knowing they have to tell him that he did well, but also break his heart because he doesn't realize his own idiocy: perfectly funny.
Recently, I was at a graduation party, & a small boy was deceived by fate in a way which made me laugh mercilessly. I must prerequisite this by saying that I love children, & sincerely hope that I get a child who cries in an adorably pitiful way like this boy did. He was playing outside with a balloon, which he accidentally let go; the balloon, predictably floated away into the sky becoming a smaller and smaller dot. The little boy, who was preciously dressed in slacks & a polo, has his arms out-stretched into the air, head back, crying with fervor at the balloon he has no hope of getting back. While I'm laughing at his predicament, someone brings him onto the porch where I'm sitting & gives him another balloon. Now, this cannot be made up, the second this little boy steps off the 1st step, the new balloon pops above his head for no reason. I think God just wanted me to laugh, I was in pain laughing as tiny little tears streamed down his face. He eventually got another balloon, but he continued to look into the sky & wonder why -- it was precisely priceless humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment