Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The one with Chia!

Today's obsession comes in the form of tiny little seeds, chia seeds to be exact. Go ahead, I haven't met anyone who can resist it yet: Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! However, I'm not spreading it on clay for amusement, but rather, eating that strange gelatinous material.
As it turns out, chia seeds are incredibly nutrient dense: 1 tablespoon provides protein, omega-3's, calcium, dietary fiber, antioxidants, & anti-inflammatory properties! Leave it to Americans to take something so fundamentally good for you, & to use it as a play-thing. Quite similar, in fact, to fried food garnished on a bed of kale! Our general blindness makes me both cringe & laugh.

The seeds can absorb 9-times their mass in water, which forms the chia-gel; while entirely edible on its own, it's rather dull to do so as the seeds have no taste of their own. This is a very convenient little attribute when cooking with them! So far, I've mixed the gel with yogurt or oatmeal for a little nutrient boost in the AM. Due to their gelatinous nature, they're great for athletes, those going on a long hike, or anyone who has problems staying hydrated. They're also said to keep you fuller long, & provide lasting energy -- all in a spoonful (Mary Poppins was dishing out the wrong stuff!)
Allow this gel to "grow" in a shallow dish, & within a few days you'll get some nice sprouts which can freshen & boost-up any of your favorite salads!

You can also sprinkle the dry seeds atop a nice baguette with Nutella (mio preferito), a fresh salad, steamed veggies, or anything you want to add a subtle crunch to!

This has all been fun, but I wanted more: I wanted to really infuse these seeds & their nutrition into something everyone could enjoy...enter the natural 1st viewers choice: cookies!! Now, my favorite little characteristic about these tricky little sees is that in its gelatinous form, it has such a strong & unique binding structure, that it can be baked with!! In face, they say in most recipes chia gel can substitute 1/2 the butter in a recipe with no noticeable effects. Are you comprehending the health degree we just took this up to?!?! The curiosity & obsession to super-pack my treats with nutrients has thus led me into a baking frenzy!
I successfully made Chocolate Chip-Chia cookies (right), even though they told me this would happen, I was amazed that they tasted & looked the SAME!! Next I made my favorite trail-mix oatmeal cookies (left dough), packed with dried cranberries, almond slices, dark chocolate slivers, orange zest, cinnamon & now - chia! The best part wasn't even that I enjoyed them, but rather, that my Aunt & Uncle, all of my cousins, & my grandfater (who avoids anything green) LOVED them -- had NO idea -- & they tell me I'm crazy with my health theories. HA! There is a BIG smile on my face right now. Today has taught me two important lessons: there is no limit to what being health-conscious ban bring, & I have to continue to share experiences venturing into health-life-style-choices.

Next, Banana bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment