Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The one with Apples

Over the weekend my teenage cousin had the brilliant idea to go Apple Picking (!!!). As a child and adolescent this was a favorite fall activity with my family, we would find so much joy in running around the orchards, playing, and snacking on fresh apples warm from the sun. We would return home exhausted and laughing, and my dad would make his fresh Apple Cobbler which would fill the house with the hot and satisfying smells of Autumn. Can a child ask for a better memory?!?





It's one of those things which I look back on & am continuously reminded of how grateful I am for the simple pleasures in life. I wanted to recreate that excitement and pure fun for my cousin, so Meg & her friend Jen, along with my Aunt Patty & I headed to the orchards! What follows is documentation of some of our playful antics (we also stopped by the Pumpkin Patch!).



Just picture a lush green maze of ripe trees to rush or linger through, faint laughter from your friends nearby, the warm sun shining through the branches, & cool leaves brushing your arm....




I am moderately short...& ran into a few obstacles...









Apple?





I would take fruit off a tree over most food from a store any day!

So pure & delicious!







Speak no evil....it's a good ambition!



No explanation necessary...

"Hello Pumpkin"








Now for piece de la resistance....My Dad's homemade Apple Cobbler (with a little additional spice from me!)



4-6 Granny Smith Apples - peeled (do it old-school with a pairing knife) & sliced (to your desired thickness) Zest a lemon over them (optional) to keep them from oxidizing & to give some extra freshness



2 tbsp Butter



2 tsp Cinnamon



1/2 tsp Nutmeg



1/2 tsp Ginger



1/4 tsp ground Cloves



Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Melt the butter in a stainless steel saute pan & add apples. Let them cook down & begin to get tender (approx. 3-5 minutes). Add spices & toss together, letting the apples really absorb all of those fabulous flavors. After another few minutes, take some of the excess juices, whisk well with a tablespoon of flour & add back into the apple mixture to add some thickness. Take off the heat & spoon into a baking dish (preferably either a glass pie pan, or a round stone baking dish) while you make the topping.



Topping:



3/4 c. Flour



1/2 c. Light brown sugar



1 tsp Cinnamon



2 tbsp butter - melted



Sift together the dry ingredients, & drizzle the butter over as you use a fork to incorporate everything together to create a homogeneous sand-like texture. Sprinkle this over the apples until they're well covered as though it was a blanket. Slide the dish into the oven & cook for about 30-42 minutes. I enjoy slow-cooking this dish because it makes those apples extra tender & fully flavored! If you turn up the heat to about 375 degrees for the last 5 minutes, it will give the top a nice crunchy texture! I love this dish! Beforehand, the sent of it cooking wanders through the house, then it brings a smile to my face both through its aesthetic promises of deliciousness & through the warm & delicate flavors as they bring me back to childhood! I suggest enjoying this on its own, with fresh-made whipped cream, or over vanilla fro-yo (I LOVE the hot-cold duo) -- it's sure to please!

No comments:

Post a Comment