Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The one with Mrs. O

I found a very intriguing article in the Harvard Business Review today which supports a theory I've been mulling over for the past months/year. I believe that (though not to the same extreme cultural significance) Michelle Obama is our generation's Jackie-O.



One of the pictures from Michelle's spread in Vogue, which was fantastic, check it out!


Now before you freak out on me, take a look at the slideshow which the HBR put together entitled "The Michelle Obama Effect" At this point J. Crew should be naming their next line after her! Think about it, the iconic inauguration outfit, her mixing of high-fashion with brands more readily accessible upper-middle-class America, along with the overload of mass media putting it all directly in front of our face & only a click away from being delivered to our home.


Let's face it, She's strong, she's fun, she's stylish....what's not to Love! What I respect the most about her, in a fashion sense, is that she is so brillian when it comes to flattering her body! This is the most important aspect in finding your style, & it's so often overlooked! Each person has thier own shape, & it's vital to find what flatters your unique shape; something which looks fabulous on your friend or sister, may not work for you, & vice versa. Once you find what compliments your body...work it!

I felt in retrospect as though my outfit today could have been subconsciously inspired by one of the first-lady's casual-classy-cardigan days. I wore slate grey suit pants with a slightly lose white sleeveless blouse with a ruffle from the left neckline down to the ribcage, & a fitted cobalt blue 3/4 sleeve cut-off cardigan. With this I paired a double-strand delicate gold necklace with small inset crystals & nickle-sized earings with concentric tini white-beads & a golden topaz in the center, finished with black pointy stilettos; crisp would be the word for how it made me feel.

InStyle has one of the most comprehensive followings/documentations of Michelle's fashion development as the first lady, which is where I got the montage of some of my favorite of her stylistic choosings shown below. Save for, that is: mrs-o.org, which is an entirely marvelous site which I enthusiastically suggest you check out!






The questions stands to reason, will she be the next Jackie-O of first-lady-fashion-history?

No comments:

Post a Comment