Friday, October 22, 2010

The one with Lil Weezy


So I was seriously feeling the pull of Euterpe - the Muse of music - on my attentions today. Sometimes you just go through your day with music as a background. Then other times... you suddenly listen to the music playing; find it's oddities & ingenious devices, structures, beauty: today was one of those days. I love when I take the time to appreciate music; that is after all, what it's there for! Music is by no means created to be a simple thing we take for granted; yet I'd have to argue, that is what happens in mass. What follows is a few of today's obsessions, what has inspired me, & their breakdown. I hope you enjoy them!!
"No Love" - Eminem ft. Lil Wayne

Where to start! I have been obsessed with Eminem's lyrical genius & raw dedication to his passion since I was in Middle School! What I enjoy the most about his recent work, is that it seems more 'real' than some of his earlier work. Lil Wayne is brilliant; you can tell via any of his dozens of songs which have continued to top the charts how earnestly he is his art. It makes me so sad that is in jail; however, being that I obsessed over Rebirth, I find it comically ironic that he was convicted for an unlicensed concealed weapon, when one of his lines was "me & my gun, we took an oath together, said we'd never fall, if we're both together". That said, he has taken a commendable proactive approach to his incarceration. This idea just came out September 29Th...meaning he filmed it before going into jail & was able to keep it quiet until now! He's successfully done this with multiple single releases, & his new album just dropped. He has lost NO momentum, & you have to know that on November 4TH he's coming out ready to bang out masses of genius after 8 months of nothing but time to think. "No Love lost, no Love found"

Secrets - One Republic

Love the symphonic-rock mix! The woman is either living a dual-life, is a polygamist, or has been caught in a torrid affair, you be the judge.

Stereo Love - Edward Maya ft. Alicia

The song & video duo is Sexy in a seductive European-subtly way. With these first two shots you already know the whole story...


We No Speak Americano - Yolanda Be Cool vs DCUP

So much fun in an authentic techno-fab Italian-club way! This brings me back to Firenze! Roughly translated "Fa l'Americano" can mean Do "the American" (as in act like an American) or 'past American'. I tend to think the first translation is more likely. For further explanation, feel free to ask, I am happy to share my Italian knowledge with you!
Bow Chicka Wow Wow - Mike Posner
He's so much fun!!! My new feel-good obsession....I'm a huge proponent of Pandora at work & on my Blackberry: his station is particularly up-beat. No video as of now, but YouTube it, you won't be able to get the beat out of your head!

Runaway - Kanye West
Anyone who wants to diss Kanye, throw it at me, I am more than prepared to defend the artist who I respect for being a truly unique & insightful persona. All the YouTube videos of the VMA's have been pulled due to "copyright infringement" but I found a great version in a WSJ article (Kanye West's new song 'Runaway'). Visually fantastic & one of the most self-deprecating songs I've heard in recent memory. Granted he is a serious case of narcissism - so I would take this with a grain of salt - but what would Kanye be without his Ego?

No comments:

Post a Comment