Saturday, October 16, 2010

The one with Firenze

I am so excited at this moment! My cousin (who's a sophomore in college) just called me to let me know that he has decided where to study abroad next year: Italy -- Florence! For those of you who don't know, I studied & lived in the heart of Firenze for two semesters (a collaborative 10 months), it's relatively unprecedented as most study-abroad students only go for one semester -- it simply never crossed my mind to choose one!

This being said, it's a very bitter-sweet moment. Sono inamorato con (I am in LOVE with) Firenze to an extent I cannot begin to explain; I feel as though the city is a part of me, the culture, the very stones which make up the ancient buildings acknowledge me as if to say "you're finally here". Due to this adoration, I am both excited to share my understanding of the city, culture, & experiance as wel as all the best restaurants with him, while simultaneously I feel a twang or remorse & jealousy that he'll be there & I will not.


I will live in Florence one day, but until then, it is the pain of being separated from a loved one which I feel when I think of mia Firenze.

Here are some of my favoriet memories/places of the city:



One of my favorite pictures from my entire travels! These are my roomates from 2nd semester, we were on the way back from clubbing to our apartment, & I learned a really cool trick about the Duomo from a guy I knew, so I HAD to show my friends (can figure it out?) Kristen (my love on far right) asked a passer-by to take this picture -- I'm dead center, the only one in a dress :)


The picture above on the left is of a "la Pieta" on Via di Greci, which was directly adjacent to Via di Benci where my apartment was. In addtion, one night/morning when we were out particularly late, we decided to hop over the Arno which was just down our street, & walk up to Piazza Michelangelo to watch the sunrise. The picture to the right is what I got on the walk back across the Arno -- Perfetto!

I because accustomed to waking to rining bells from the nearby Santa Croce, Basilica San Maria del Fiori, & the numerous other churches close-by; when paired with the sweet smells of espresso & cornetti drifting on the air, it couldn't have been more picturesque!

Ponte Vecchio -- the only post-WWII bridge in the city -- timeless


Directly across from my apartment was one of the most popular bars at the time, "The Red Garter" upon walking in, you'd see the sign above. We were the neighbors, we Loved them! <3>

My sister came to visit me, & one night I took her first to The Red Gater, and then after with the owner of the Red Garter, we went to a place which if I'm remembering correctly was called "The Red Dragon" nothing compared to the underground club "Blob", but it was still a cool little late-night bar, where -- as is aparent from the picture above -- my sister & Francesco kicked my ass in pool.

A night out in Florence would not be complete without a stop to the "Secret Bakery". There were several around the city; they were bakeries which baked during the night for the many small bars (coffee spots) around the city, they were open between 2-4 in the morning to sell hot Cornetti, Pizza, & other fabulous late-night food. You could only find out about them if a local told you where to find them: Thank God I had lots of Florentine friends, because there could not have been a more perfect end to my nights!

Clubbing in Florence was like nothing else! The night life was part of the culture, so in the spirit of cultral integration, we went out...A LOT! Above to the left is a picture of my friend G & I at Twice, he promoted it, so we were there before that party started. To the right are my roomies Erin, Lauren, & I at Astor, which was a popular bar during my 1st semester in Florence. Space, YAB, Maracana, Full UP, Central, The Lion's Fountain also topped my list of fav fab places to go!

Finally, I cannot speak about the places I love in mia Firenze without including Piazza Signoria! Above is a picture I took of Cellini's "Perseus Slaying Medusa". I walked through Piazza Signoria half a dozen times every single day -- easily. During the evning, you would walk through to see groups of friends meeting up & congregating while musicians played under the arches of the Galleria degli Uffizi. The melodies would articulate eloquently through the piazza & we would grab a gelato before sitting around the statues of the Renaissance to listen & chat quietly.
My cousin is coming home next weekend & I don't know if it's myself or him who's more excited to speak about everything! I hope to teach him helpful phrases which will help him in everything from ordering in a restaurant, to getting a drink, to grocery shopping, to silly little idioms. I'll joyfully share my Florence-street-savy with him & look forward to the next time I'm in "my city"; perhaps that will be visiting him!
Piu di qualcosa, mi lamento il sole Italiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment