Saturday, October 30, 2010

The one with French Toast

I LOVE breakfast! It's a feel-good meal which energizes, sets the tone for the rest of the day, and brings me back to childhood. Most mornings I'm in a hurry to get out the door & have either a quick omelet or some fruit; Saturday mornings are different though; I go all out! It is the perfect day to put a pot of water to boil for tea & make a nice BIG breakfast! Whether that be home-fries with onion & peppers paired with eggs, pancakes with warm strawberries, fresh made scones or banana bread, or my favorite -- French Toast!

Tea is generally underrated, some of my favorites include ginger, white chai, & jasmine -- Teavana of course!

Ginseng Vitality Rooibos Tea, Lemon Pomegranate Tea, Jasmine pearls, White Ayurvedic Chai

I like to think that I've perfected my French Toast recipe:
V's Perfect French Toast

Sour dough bread - sliced thin & left out overnight to dry out

4 egg whites
tsp vanilla
1/2 c. skim milk
splash Disaronno
Cinnamon
Nutella
Beat together egg whites, vanilla, milk, and Disaronno. Heat a cast-iron pan & lightly pour in some extra virgin olive oil (pat off excess with paper towel). Soak the bread well, about 30 seconds, in the mixture before placing on the hot pan, sprinkle top with cinnamon. Allow to cook until carmelized on botton, you'll know because the top will begin to try & it will not stick to the pan. Flip & allow to finish cooking. I find small medalions work well, I really like the sourdough from Panera Bread! Place on plade, spread with a small dollop of Nutella, & layer (3 is optimum).

The wonderful hint of orange in the Disaronna pairs marvelously well with Nutella's hazlenut-chocolately smoothness while the soft sourdough absorbs & blends it all so well!
The perfect start to any day, take time to enjoy this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment